Stay connected for the latest news and events from the Hibernian Historical Trust.

In a two-part feature, Trust Curator Tom Wright looks at fathers and sons who have played at Easter Road.

When Simon Murray joined Hibernian in the summer, he became just the latest in an elite band of fathers and sons who have both played for the club. A father and son playing for the same club is perhaps not unique, but at Easter Road there have been no less than six since the Second World War.

After just one game for Montrose, Simon Murray returned to junior football before signing for Arbroath where his 18 goals from 28 games encouraged Dundee United to pay £50,000 for his services. Having already scored 10 goals for Hibernian, he is already a huge favourite of the Easter Road fans and well on course to becoming this seasons leading goalscorer.


father son 1

Simon Murray's father Gary signed for Hibernian in December 1960


During his three seasons with Montrose Simon’s father Gary scored 39 league goals from just 79 games including one against Hibs in a League Cup game in 1979, form that persuaded the then Hibs manager Bertie Auld to sign the striker for £60,000 in December 1980.

Gary Murray made his debut against Stirling Albion on 27th December and scored his first goal for the club against Dumbarton the following week. It would be the first of eight he would score that season as the club made a return to the Premier League at the first time of asking, including the opening goal in the 2-0 home defeat of Raith Rovers that made promotion a mathematical certainty.

After three seasons as a first team regular with 100 appearances and 19 goals an injury received in a reserve game against Aberdeen would severely curtail Gary’s first team appearances at Easter Road and he would eventually rejoin Montrose after a couple of seasons with Forfar.




Still a registered Hibs player at the time goalkeeper Lewis Goram would play only one first team game at Easter Road but this time would be wearing the colours of Third Lanark after joining the Cathkin side on loan earlier in the season. Lining up alongside the former Hibs player Johnny Cuthbertson who was now with Thirds, a 1-0 victory for the visitors would prove a severe blow to the Edinburgh side’s hopes of securing the league title for the second time in three seasons.

In the final game of the 1949/50 campaign against Rangers at Cathkin, the Ibrox side needed only a draw to secure the championship from second placed Hibs. With Goram retaining his place in the team, unfortunately for the Easter Road side Third Lanark would miss a penalty that would have given Hibs the title, the final 2-2 scoreline enough to give Rangers the championship by a solitary point.

While earlier out on loan with Leith Athletic, Goram who was then the third choice goalkeeper at Easter Road had been rumoured to be a signing target for Blackpool but unfortunately the English First Division side turned their attention to Hibs reserve keeper George Farm instead and Goram would soon sign for Bury.

Lewis’s son Andy needs no introduction. A £325,000 Alex Miller signing from Oldham in 1987 he quickly developed into one of the best goalkeepers in the league and a regular in the Scotland side. Although on the short side for a goalkeeper he was extremely good in the air and a tremendous shot stopper.


father son 2

Andy Goram's father Lewis played one match for the Easter Road outfit


During his time at Easter Road he would achieve the unusual feat for a goalkeeper of not only scoring against Morton in a league game but also in a penalty shoot out against Clydebank. After four seasons with Hibs, in 1991 he would join Rangers winning several honours with the Ibrox side. Later Goram would become something of a soccer nomad playing for a short spell with several clubs including Manchester United on loan and Motherwell before ending his career with Elgin City.

Craig Paterson was signed from Bonnyrigg Rose by manager Eddie Turnbull in 1977. After several earlier appearances as a substitute he made his league debut for the club in a 3-1 defeat by Rangers in 1979 and quickly developed into a first class centre half. Dominant in the air and extremely good on the ground the intelligent Paterson quickly became a mainstay of the side, form that earned him several under -21 appearances for Scotland.

The early 1980’s was a difficult time financially for Hibs and after rejecting several offers from England for the player Paterson was allowed to join Rangers in a £225,000 deal at the start of the 1982/83 season, spending just over four seasons with the Ibrox club. A member of the Motherwell side that won the Scottish Cup in a thrilling game against Dundee United in 1991, he would later move to Kilmarnock then Hamilton, finally ending his playing career with the Junior side Forth Wanderers after a spell with Glenafton.

The affable Paterson is now a popular radio commentator. His father John was signed from Penicuik Thistle during the war, but although he would not make his debut until 1948, for the following eleven seasons would rarely be out of the first team. Equally comfortable either at left back or centre half, most of John’s career would be spent playing behind the Famous Five during the halcyon post war years, winning a league championship medal in 1951 and 1952.

A member of the side that lost to Celtic in the Coronation Cup Final in 1953 and the Scottish Cup Final against Clyde in 1958, only the fact that he had been born in Colchester had probably prevented him from winning a full cap for Scotland, although he did make one appearance for the Scottish League side against Wales in 1953. The highly respected Paterson would later end his long career with Ayr United.

Stay tuned for Part 2 of Fathers and Sons...


Written by Tom Wright

If you can add to any historical article, perhaps with special memories, a favourite story or the results of your original research, the Hibernian Historical Trust would love to hear from you.
You can kindly contribute by contacting us HERE.