Position Left Half
Hugh Shaw joined Hibs from Clydebank Juniors in the closing months of the Great War.
Originally a centre forward it was only after moving back to left half that he discovered his true position. A determined player with no little skill, he was a regular member of the great Hibs side of the 1920s which reached consecutive Scottish Cup Finals against Celtic and Airdrie in 1923 and 1924, unfortunately losing both. Joining Rangers in 1926, Shaw later spent three years at Tynecastle before moving on to East Fife, Leith Athletic and Elgin City.
After a short spell as manager at Elgin he returned to Easter Road as trainer in 1935. Working under the legendary manager Willie McCartney the well respected Shaw was an obvious choice to fill the manager's chair after the untimely death of McCartney in 1948. Under his stewardship, the club, eventually fronted by the illustrious Famous Five, would win three League Championships and were second twice inside a six year period making Shaw the most successful manager in the long and illustrious history of Hibernian.
It was also during Shaw's time at Easter Road that Hibs became the first British side to enter the European Cup in 1955. Shaw resigned in 1961 to take over as manager of Raith Rovers. He died in Edinburgh in 1976 aged 80.
Full name Hugh Shaw