Stay connected for the latest news and events from the Hibernian Historical Trust.

Hibernian's home game against Hearts on 20 September 1952 was the first to be broadcast live by the Hospital Broadcast Organisation.

Originally an experiment by Stirling Albion for a hospital in the central region, the idea was quickly adopted by the Hibs Supporters Association who helped raise the initial £80 needed to get the voluntary organisation off the ground.

The money was raised by fundraising events, collections and donations. Gordon Smith also donated a percentage of the profits from belated programme sales from his testimonial game against Manchester United which took place only a few days before.

The first 100 minute broadcast, transmitted by Wemyss Craigie, was listened to by patients in both the Royal Infirmary and Leith hospitals. The service would soon be expanded to cover 14 hospitals in the Edinburgh area. Broadcast from a booth resembling a telephone box that was situated at the north end of the Easter Road enclosure, the experiment eventually proved so successful that with the help of Jim Bourhill and Tom Millar the service was extended to cover matches at Tynecastle. It is on record that on occasion, players from either side would tune in while recovering from injury.

The Hospital Broadcast Organisation system was in operation for several years and was subsidised by regular collections at both Easter Road and Tynecastle, as well as donations from many other sources.

Gordon Smith scored his 300th goal in all competitions for Hibs during a 3-1 victory over Aberdeen at Easter Road on 20th September 1952. With the home side kicking up the famous slope, a few minutes before half time Smith received the ball on the edge of the penalty area. Hesitating only briefly to steady himself, he proceeded to crash a thunderous shot past future Scotland goalkeeper Fred Martin to tumultuous applause from both sets of fans. The historic event was recorded for posterity on a tape recorder that had been recently purchased by Wemyss Craigie. Transferred to acetate, the 8" record was later presented to the maestro himself.


Records 1


The disc on the left of the photograph records Gordon Smith's 301st goal for Hibs in a 7-2 victory over Motherwell at Easter Road on 3 January 1953. The one on the right, goals from two of Hibs other goalscorers that day, Lawrie Reilly and Willie Ormond, and also an interview with 3 young Hibs fans before the home game against Clyde on 14 February that same year.

If you can add to any historical article, perhaps with special memories, a favourite story or the results of your original research, the Hibernian Historical Trust would love to hear from you.
You can kindly contribute by contacting us HERE.